Peanut Butter Pie


On Valentine’s Day, I made my honey a peanut butter pie. (Forgive the cell phone picture.) There were some selfish motivations behind this invention, I will admit. Whenever I go to visit my sister in Fort Collins, I request that we get peanut butter pie at this little dessert place downtown. Their peanut butter pie is AMAZING. I really wanted to recreate this dessert at home. I came up with something that was sinfully rich and delicious. Here is the recipe. Enjoy!

Kill Them With Kindness Peanut Butter Pie



2 graham cracker crusts
1 bag bittersweet chocolate chips
1 small container heavy whipping cream
1 jar peanut butter (get the full-fat, full-sugar, full-salt kind.)
1 regular-size container of Cool Whip (get the extra creamy kind, if they have it.)
1 block cream cheese, softened
1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
2 king-size packs of Reese’s peanut butter cups


Making a ganache is the simplest thing in the world. Pour the whole bag of chips into a large glass bowl. Boil 1.5 cups of the cream on the stove, and watch it. The second it starts to boil and froth, take it off the stove, pour into the chips, and whisk, whisk, whisk until it is ganache. Treat yourself to a fingerful for all of your hard work.


Pour a good amount of the ganache into the bottom of each graham cracker crust. You want about ¼ to a ½ cup left in the bowl when you are done, for the topping. If you don’t want any ganache on top, divide evenly. Put both crusts into the fridge to chill for about 30 minutes.


While those are chilling, mix the cream cheese, peanut butter, confectioner’s sugar, and the remaining cream with a hand mixer, until it is thoroughly mixed and creamy. Try it with a spoon, and make sure it passes muster.


When the ganache is sufficiently cooled, about 30 minutes, add the peanut butter goodness to the crusts, and smooth with a rubber spatula. Top with the cool whip, and add some ganache to the top in fancy swirls, (or big, uneven globs, if you are me.) Chop the peanut butter cups and add those to the top as well, (‘cause this dessert just does not have enough calories without those.)


Cover and chill until serving. 

Things I am going to try next time: I am going to get another container of Cool Whip, and try whipping some of that into the peanut butter mix, to see if I can get it fluffier, and creamier. Or, maybe I will just whip the sugar and the heavy cream together until it is whipped cream, and then add those other ingredients. (Hmmm....) It was super-good the first time, but I always think things can be better!

1 comments:

jennifer little said...

Yum! I worked at a summer camp, and there was a similar recipe I brought back and have savored. But you kicked it up with the whip on top + the Reese's on top, yum!